Friday, September 25, 2020

Management Lessons from Failure - I am Happy I Lost.



Failure can be emotionally draining but it has its benefits too. I am happy I lost the contest.


I was a regular at my club meetings and the practise made me a winner in a contest series. I used to be very excited and happy. More than me, there was someone else who was excited. My then 8 year old daughter. She used to be very excited and happy whenever i won those contests. In due course of time, she assumed that I was the best and that I will always win. 


For the past two years, due to work commitment, i was unable to participate in my club meetings. One thing is sure, that when you reduce the effort tap into your pitcher, the water coming out if it will naturally reduce. The same happened to me. Due to reduced participation and with the advent of online meetings, the challenge of performing became tougher. While others improved, i went down on my quality of content and time management. This was the red signal which i didn't realize and it led to my failure. I lost in the contest.


What i didn't realize was that someone else was much more upset than me. Yes, my daughter. She is ten years old now. She has this image of a perfect mother who always wins in contests. She was unable to take the blow when i lost. She was angry and blamed someone else for my failure. I realized the good that had happened to me and thanked god for my failure. 


I sat down with my daughter to share the benefits of loosing. It is important we inculcate the acceptance of failure in our children. This makes them stronger and enables them to face failure in future. I shared with her that;


1. It is okay to Fail -  There is no one on this earth who hasn't tasted failure. This means that it is normal to fail. This needs to be understood and demonstrated in your emotions and actions both. 


2. Do not become over confident - Once you realize that you are not invincible, you will always strive harder when you participate in competitions, events or life. You will prepare well and give your best to it. 


3. Do not blame anyone else for your failure - Its not right to blame anyone else, but yourself for your failure. Identifying the reasons for your failure, helps you eliminate them effectively. As is said - असफलता केवल यह सिद्ध करती है कि सफलता का प्रयास पूरे मन से नहीं हुआ। Find out what is missing and improve on it.


4. Failure presents an opportunity - Failure in itself is an opportunity to identify what efforts were missing and improve upon them. You should do exactly that. Plan in advance, Practise and Execute well.


5. Derive inspiration from Failure - Observe people and animals around you. Take inspiration from poems like कोशिश करने वालों की by सोहन लाल द्विवेदी (Sohan Lal Dwivedi) - (appended at the end of my article). Even a tiny ant does not give up when it falls from the wall. A diver doesn't give up when he is unable to find pearls in one dive.  It is important to keep the faith and rise again. Rise and try again and again with more vigour every time.


6. Remember, No effort goes waste, you will succeed ultimately - Efforts are always rewarded. In different forms maybe. But whatever efforts we put in will be rewarded. If you have decided that you want to succeed nothing can stop you. Keep trying till You Succeed. Put in all your efforts. And You Will Succeed. Like in the saying -  If you think you can, You WILL. If you think you can't, You're RIGHT. So, believe in yourself, and nothing will be unachievable. 


All these aspects of failure are equally applicable to Entrepreneurs and Businesses. It is said that Sports or extra curricular activities inculcate the fighting spirit in us. I can see that happening. I learnt, whether it is work or business, it is important to rise again when you fall. And Again. And Again. And In the end, you will be able to walk.

 

I am glad that this failure gave me an opportunity to share all these facets and more with my daughter. She shared her emotions and love for me and in turn, I gave her the gift learning to accept failure. I am happy I lost. My next step is to work harder and win. After all, Winning is my habit ! 



 कोशिश करने वालों की

- सोहन लाल द्विवेदी (Sohan Lal Dwivedi)


लहरों से डर कर नौका पार नहीं होती,

कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।


नन्हीं चींटी जब दाना लेकर चलती है,
चढ़ती दीवारों पर, सौ बार फिसलती है।
मन का विश्वास रगों में साहस भरता है,
चढ़कर गिरना, गिरकर चढ़ना अखरता है।
आख़िर उसकी मेहनत बेकार नहीं होती,
कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।


डुबकियां सिंधु में गोताखोर लगाता है,
जा जा कर खाली हाथ लौटकर आता है।
मिलते नहीं सहज ही मोती गहरे पानी में,
बढ़ता दुगना उत्साह इसी हैरानी में।
मुट्ठी उसकी खाली हर बार नहीं होती,
कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।


असफलता एक चुनौती है, इसे स्वीकार करो,
क्या कमी रह गई, देखो और सुधार करो।
जब तक सफल हो, नींद चैन को त्यागो तुम,
संघर्ष का मैदान छोड़ कर मत भागो तुम।
कुछ किये बिना ही जय जय कार नहीं होती,
कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।

No comments: