Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Management Lesson - Reinvent Yourself

 



Reinvent yourself. Yet Again. A voice told me. 


It was a cold winter morning and I was sitting in the house, doing nothing. This was when I was back after an onsite trip with my husband. I was exploring some opportunities but nothing was materializing. I didn’t want to get into a job, yet I wanted to do something.

An Empty mind is a Devils’ workshop. And so true it was. I kept thinking of my past, what a wonderful professional career I had and how much money I made. And then, it all vanished like a dream. Days, months and years flew away in front of my eyes and tears rolled down. 

I didn’t know what to do. With no work and moreover with no hope of getting work, I was shattered. A man can survive without food and water. But surviving without hope is impossible. And the same was happening to me. Tears kept rolling off my eyes. The Devil told me, there’s nothing left for you in life. So, Give Up. Just then, A Voice told me, Reinvent yourself.


I had done this earlier. Many times. A transition from Infosys to Amul was one of the biggest reinventions I had done. Being a software engineer, wasn’t exciting enough to keep me motivated to pursue this as a career. Even though I was good at it, I decided to reinvent. 

I got attracted to a very special college known for its contribution to the development sector. I had heard that IRMA changes your DNA. It wasn’t easy, I would be visiting villages, spending time with the underprivileged and learn to empathize with them. Thus to learn the ways of the world, to be a person who could make a difference to others’ lives, a voice told me, Reinvent yourself. With Open mind I embraced the ways of the new world I was in.


But this was only the first step. The choice of assignment I made after college was amusing to many. I had taken up sales in a dairy cooperative organization. After a very posh work environment in one of the largest IT companies in the country, when I landed in office on the first day at work, I was culturally shocked. The office was in a hot warehouse with the walls covered with a tin shed on top. There was no Air conditioner, and the fans were not working because the electricity often went off in the area. I did not have a place to sit. I decided to leave the place right away. I came out of the warehouse and called my husband. I told him I am quitting. And guess what He told me, Reinvent yourself. Slogging hard without the luxuries I was used to, I made a mark for myself in the industry.


So, That Winter morning, I thought to myself, I’ve done this before. Why not again. I have not let anyone else control my life earlier. And I would not let it happen now. I heard the voice again. Reinvent yourself. And I decided to.

Just then, I came across a wonderful technique called The Art of Living to fix myself. I learnt the art of meditation which helped me to flush out the emotional garbage I had collected in me over a period of time. To add fuel to fire, Toastmasters happened and made me believe in myself. During my initial meetings, I used to crave for ribbons. Those days, I was not able to gather courage to stand up and speak. Under guidance from my mentors, I took up the role of a club mentor. The more responsibilities I took, the better I became. Things took a turn and with a little rework, I collected a bundle of ribbons for myself. Parallely Work started pouring in. and I have never looked back since then. 


It was easy to give up. But I decided otherwise. Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference. 

I realized that life is all about persistence and resilience. Its about reinventing yourself. All the time. 


There is so much more to life. It may be near, when it seems afar. So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit, Its when things seem worst, that you must not Quit. 

I urge you, not to Give up in times of distress. Instead, Reinvent yourself. 

No comments: