Sunday, April 04, 2021

My Forced Experience on Minimalism



I was visiting a client and then to my inlaws place for a total of the 5-day trip. And then things started to change. The one-day trial lockdown happened and then a few days and then indefinite. I didn't know my fate as I got stuck in a place without resources or even clothes!

I had watched a documentary on minimalism. It looked like those who adopt minimalism are renouncing the world. That was never an option for me. With at least 50 odd dresses in my closet, I thrive on the colour of life. Yet, here I was, stuck in another town, with 4 sets of clothes in my suitcase, one nightsuit, a toothbrush and nothing else. Oh Yes, thank god for small mercies. I had my laptop and phone with me too!

Minimalism is not about having fewer things. It's about having only the things I need. Sometimes I think, what is the only thing I may need for survival. Maybe 2 sets of clothes ( one to wear and the other to wash) a pair of footwear and food to eat. Is there anything else I may need for survival? yet there is so much ruckus in the world, a rat race to achieve so much in life and why?

In routine, I use only very few things on a regular basis, such as clothes, shoes, mobile and wallet. Just the thought of not having other things with you makes me go crazy. When the lockdown was announced, the first thing I realized was that I had a roof above my head, but without any of the daily resources that I use. I thanked God, that I was not in the midst of a natural calamity, which would have made it really bad and the best thing was I had my hubby n my daughter around. I needn't worry about anything. Then I thought to myself, at max what I need is my wallet and my phone. rest all can be managed. 

So, off I went, to the store, to buy the daily needs items and food supplies to last us for some time. That was it. Four months on the basics of life, made me appreciate the little things in life.  The sunlight, the fresh air, the flowers, yoga, meditation and food to eat. These became my companions. I felt like a yogi. A Sadhu. These little things, which actually are needed for living life comfortably were with me. The rest were just fancy items that we barely use. To tell you the fact, I never missed any other items. I never missed my dresses, my decorations, my electronic appliances. 

This made me think, minimalism isn't all that difficult. Although my last encounter with it was forced, it made me appreciate the little things of life. 

No comments: